Job Title: Heavy Equipment Operator
Company: Alamance Aggregates, LLC
Location: Alamance and Chatham County
Reports To: Job Foreman
FLSA Status: Non-Exempt
Summary: Operates one or several types of power equipment such as Asphalt Rollers, Motorgraders, Bulldozers, Backhoes, Trackhoes, or other excavators to excavate, move, and grade earth, pavement, erect structures, etc.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities include the following. Other duties may be assigned.
- Fastens attachments to tractor with clevis or wedge pin hitches. Learn and follow safety regulations.
- Take actions to avoid potential hazards or obstructions, such as utility lines, other equipment, other workers, or falling objects.
- Load and move dirt, rocks, equipment, or other materials.
- Start engines, move throttles, switches, or levers, or depress pedals to operate machines, such as trackhoes or backhoes.
- Drive and maneuver equipment equipped with blades in successive passes over working areas to remove topsoil, vegetation, or rocks or to distribute and level earth or terrain.
- Coordinate machine actions with other activities, positioning or moving loads in response to hand or audio signals from crew members.
- Align machines, cutterheads, or depth gauge makers with reference stakes and guidelines or ground or position equipment, following hand signals of other workers.
- Adjust handwheels and depress pedals to control attachments, such as blades, buckets, scrapers, or swing booms.
- Operate loaders to pull out stumps, rip asphalt or concrete, rough-grade properties, bury refuse, or perform general cleanup.
- Check fuel supplies at sites to ensure adequate availability.
- Locate underground services, such as pipes or wires, prior to beginning work.
- Repair and maintain equipment, making emergency adjustments or assisting with major repairs as necessary.
- Monitor operations to ensure that health and safety standards are met.
- Keep records of material or equipment usage or problems encountered
- Clean up piles of asphalt, concrete, or spoils in an expedient manner to facilitate crew production.
To perform the job successfully, an individual should demonstrate the following competencies: Interpersonal – Listens to others without interrupting. Team Work – Contributes to building a positive team spirit. Quality Management – Looks for ways to improve and promote quality; Demonstrates accuracy and thoroughness. Diversity – Demonstrates knowledge of EEO policy; promotes a harassment-free environment. Ethics – Treats people with respect. Organizational Support – Follows policies and procedures. Adaptability – Able to deal with frequent change, delays, or unexpected events. Attendance/Punctuality – Is consistently at work and on time. Dependability – Commits to long hours of work when necessary to reach goals. Initiative – Volunteers readily; Asks for and offers help when needed. Quality – Monitors own work to ensure quality. Quantity – Meets productivity standards. Safety and Security – Observes safety and security procedures; Reports potentially unsafe conditions; Uses equipment and materials properly.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty satisfactorily. The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Associate’s degree (A. A.) or equivalent from two-year college or technical school; or six months to one year related experience and/or training; or equivalent combination of education and experience.
Ability to read and comprehend simple instructions, short correspondence, and memos. Ability to write simple correspondence. Ability to effectively present information in one-on-one and small group situations to customers, clients, and other employees of the organization.
Ability to add, subtract, multiply, and divide in all units of measure, using whole numbers, common fractions, and decimals. Ability to compute rate, ratio, and percent and to draw and interpret bar graphs.
Ability to apply common sense understanding to carry out instructions furnished in written, oral, or diagram form. Ability to deal with problems involving several concrete variables in standardized situations.
May be required to set up and operate various machine control systems.
The work environment characteristics described here are representative of those an employee encounters while performing the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly exposed to wet or humid conditions (non-weather); work near moving mechanical parts; outdoor weather conditions and extreme heat (non-weather). The employee is frequently exposed to work in high, precarious places; extreme cold (non-weather) and risk of electrical shock. The employee is occasionally exposed to fumes or airborne particles.
The noise level in the work environment is usually moderate.
The physical demands described here are representative of those that must be met by an employee to successfully perform the essential functions of this job. Reasonable accommodations may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
The employee must regularly lift and /or move up to 100 pounds, frequently lift and/or move more than 100 pounds. Specific vision abilities required by this job include Close vision, Distance vision, Peripheral vision, Depth perception and Ability to adjust focus. While performing the duties of this Job, the employee is regularly required to sit; use hands to finger, handle, or feel and talk or hear. The employee is frequently required to stand; walk; reach with hands and arms; climb or balance and stoop, kneel, crouch, or crawl.
We are an equal opportunity employer and encourage all to apply including women and minorities.
Please fill out the application below-